Dear Prospective Volunteer:
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Walnut Avenue Women’s Center where our mission is to provide support and services so that women, children and families have the opportunities and the skills to thrive. We offer both long term and short term volunteer & internship opportunities. The Walnut Avenue Women’s Center has four core programs and there are volunteer opportunities in all of our programs.
Before you begin, there are a few steps:
1. ORIENTATION (preregistration required): To sign up for the next volunteer orientation call 831-426-3062 and tell the receptionist you would like to sign up for the next volunteer orientation. If you are under the age of 18 please stop by the office to pick up a parental consent form before registering for an orientation.
2. REVIEW VOLUNTEER HANDBOOK: Volunteer Handbook
3. APPLICATION: Fill out the application you received at the volunteer orientation after you have read the Volunteer Handbook (link provided in Step 2). We require all volunteers that will work directly with participants to get fingerprinted to provide us with a background check. You will receive information about fingerprinting at the orientation.
4. MEET WITH VOLUNTEER PROGRAM MANAGER: Call 831-426-3062, ext. 221 to schedule a meeting to go over your completed paperwork. If you have selected a program or volunteer opportunity that requires you to get fingerprinted or get a TB test, please complete these steps prior to scheduling your meeting with the Volunteer Program Manager.
5. TRAINING: Training requirements depend on the program selected for your volunteer commitment. You will learn more about training requirements at the Volunteer Orientation.
6. COMMITMENT: Particular programs do have minimum time commitment requirements but we are happy to work with volunteers on creating short and long term volunteer opportunities.
Then you begin!
This may sound like a long process but because of the nature of our services, it is necessary for us to know as much about you and prepare you for your volunteer work with our participants.
The Walnut Avenue Women’s Center has more volunteers than paid staff. We simply could not begin to serve all of the participants who walk through our door without a strong, committed volunteer base.
If you have questions, please call the Volunteer Program Manager at (831) 426-3062 Ext: 221.